On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 I posted a item to this mailing list with subject line
"msgMaxSize handling not RFC compliant".

   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14997558

To followup, this "issue" was uncovered in the use of SNMP Research's Config
Wizard applet, which is included with their DSSP (Distributed SNMP Security
Pack -- http://www.snmp.com/products/dssp.html) which was being used to
provide the SNMPv3 layer to HP Openview NNM. DSSP is typically used by the
Tier 1 Enterprise Network Management Software packages (Openview NNM,
Netview, etc) for SNMPv3 support.

Specifically, the problem was the fact that the SNMP Research's Config
Wizard was using GetBulk operations with the msgMaxSize field of the SNMPv3
protocol specified as 2048. The GetBulk was being used to extract the USM
table from the agent. With the quantity of OID's being requested, the result
was in excess of 3000 bytes resulting in request being dropped by the agent
(see aforementioned posting). The Config Wizard then times out and aborts.

I note that it appears the default msgMaxSize used as by the net-snmp
command line utilities is 65535 (0xffff) and as such the problem would never
be encountered using the net-snmp utilities unless an overly excessive
number of oid's were being requested in the snmpbulkget command.

Here is the kicker for me; I know that net-snmp is widely integrated. Has no
one uncovered this issue with Net-snmp SNMPv3 with NNM/Netview/etc or simply
is SNMPv3 utilized at such a minimal level using only open source (ie $0)
management tools? Alternatively, if Net-snmp is being used for SNMPv3, what
are people using for network management software to configure USM and VACM
from a centralled network management station?

For counter reference this issue was relatively "new" to the folks at SNMP
Research as well.