Hi,

Has anyone had much experiences with snmp subagents???

I wish to know if agentx and/or smux portable across operating systems and architectures? eg. If I have one host system with an Intel processor running Vxworks with snmp research stack, can it easily talk agentx or smux to a slave system with a PowerPC processor running Linux and net-snmp ???

Is this possible and are there any interoperability issues?

I envisage this would happen over some remote comms protocol, or does agentx and smux only work as separate processes on the same OS ??

Thanks for any help,
Cheers,
Brendan.

Brendan Simon wrote:
Hi,

I am using net-snmp (v3) in a linux module that attaches to a Network
Element (NE) card running vxworks and an Snmp Research stack (v3).  A
major restriction is that the Management System (MS) should only see
_one_ IP address, that of the main processor, therefore the MS cannot
communicate directly to the module SNMP agent via IP.

Is it possible to use a subagenet (agentx, smux, etc) to talk to my module?
What if there are multiple modules connected to the same NE (eg. 16
modules)?  Can agentx, smux, etc handle that?

Alternatively, can the NE snmp agent (SNMP Research) terminate and/or
forward SNMPv3 packets to the module snmp agent _and_ maintain the
user/password authentication.  Is that a standard part of SNMPv3??

Is it possible to have multiple OIDs for different SNMP subagents in the
same SNMP PDU?  If so, then the snmp agent would have to determine the
destination subagent by processing each OID.  Correct?

Thanks for any help clarifying subagents :)
Cheers,
Brendan.