On 20/09/06, Leo Lei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i snmpwalk the vacmViewTreeFamilyTable, as the following:
    [snip]
> i translate these to the following texts using the snmpd.conf directive:
> //      _all_   included        0
> //      _all_   included        1
> //      _all_   included        2
> //      _none_  excluded        0
> //      _none_  excluded        1
> //      _none_  excluded        2

Yes - that's correct.

> are there any specifial meaning?

There's nothing inherently special about these particular views.
They're simply standard internal views, set up automatically by the
agent and used for the "convenience" access control directives.

> are there any good reason about this evolvement along with the net-snmp
> release?

a)  The older configuration *only* applied to  management information
under the .1 tree
     In practise this covers 99% of all MIB objects, but it is
perfectly possible to have information under .0 or .2 - which then
wouldn't be covered by the standard config,
The new approach applies to *all* information - regardless of its location.

b) The older configuration involved defining a fresh view for each
access control directive.
    The new approach defines two standard views that can be shared by
all of them.   This is clearer (since they use a meaningful name) and
more efficient (fewer entries to search in the View table)

c)  The older configuration only supported a single subtree
restriction when using the convenience directives.  To define a more
complex view, it was necessary to use the full
com2sec/group/view/access approach.   The new mechanism allow you to
define a named view and then use it with rocommuntiy et al.   This
gives greater flexibility while retaining the (relative) simplicity of
these convenience directives.

Note that the names used for the standard ("complete tree") views were
deliberately chosen to be different to the example documentation, to
avoid clashes with existing configuration files.  We don't forbid use
of a leading _ in user-defined tokens, but would advise people to
avoid such names, as these will typically be used for internally
defined names.   A fairly common convention in many aspects of
computing.

Does that help?