MB> Why does snmpv1 return an error while snmpv2c does not?

It looks like you're allowing access from SNMPv1 but not SNMPv2c.
I can't tell what you're doing internally without seeing the access
control directives of your snmpd.conf file, but you are probably have
an "access" line in it that specifies only "v1" and you need 2, one
that specifies access for v1 and one for v2c.
--
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.