On 16/10/06, santhosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> let me try to explain with the code I am using

Let's leave the code to one side for now.
I'm still trying to get a clear picture of the behaviour and
functionality of the underlying system.

> So in the above case I will update the "localpair1value" from the data which
> I recieve from the Hardware
>
> there are only two cases in this
> if I recieve "0" value at this point there is nothing to do "Just Discard"
>
> the second senario is, I need to send a Message(TRAP) saying that I have
> recieve "1" or "2", which are the only possible values for this alarm

> so as of description is concerned what I can mention over there is if "1"
> then it is IN SYNC, or if it is "2" OUT OF SYNC

So the hardware will actively reporting its status (presumably when it
changes) - and there are basically only two significant states - "in
sync" and "out of sync".  Is that correct?

Does this hold for the other pairs as well (LocalPair2, and the two
RemotePairs) ?
Or do they have different values?

I've got some idea for how you might represent this in SNMP, but I
want to be sure that I understand the underlying model first.

The other issue I still have is with regard to manager-initiated
activity.  What you've described above is driven from the hardware
itself - actively reporting significant events.
It's often useful to be able to query the current status of the system
(even if nothing has changed recently).
   Would LocalPair1 report the same two (or three) values?  Similarly
for LocalPair2, RemotePair1 & RemotePair2.  I'm still unclear as to
the significance of '0' in the above description.  I know you said
that such values could be discarded, but what does this value mean?
   Or is it not possible to query the hardware to discover the current state?