On 1/31/07, Dave Shield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

         http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ:Applications_04

This is basically due to the access control settings of the agent.
It will refuse to talk to an unauthorised client.

I get that. But why is then an snmp ERROR code "authorizationError (16)"
exist if the agent does not respond ?

Also is there a straight way to get the error code from the execution of an
SNMP command, rather than processing from the debug output/raw packet
hexdump ?

I tried to set a MIB object, which the user does not have write access to.
The debug ("-D ALL") output is as follows:

dumph_recv:     error status
dumpx_recv:      02 01 11
dumpv_recv:        Integer:     17 (0x11)

Here 17 indicates "notWritable". But should i process this debug o/p to get
the error code or is there any clean way ?? I even checked out the bash exit
value of snmpset. It returned 2 ????

3. While specifying incorrect agent port in an snmpget.

That's because there's nothing to respond.  If you direct a request
to a host/port where there's nothing listening, then of course you
won't get a response!

I added this option to mean that the error message is valid for this and not
the other two :-). i.e The error reporting is incorrect ..

Dave

Sararthy