I think I found some resolution to this.

To build mib2c you must have perl modules turned on WITHIN the net-snmp
build and have it INSTALLED.

Here is the procedure that worked for me using v5.2.3.

Run configure (see config for mib2c below)

Make

Make install

Cd perl

Perl Makefile.PL -NET-SNMP-IN-SOURCE=true

Make

Cd ..

Make install       (this picks up any new objects from the mib2c build)

The original make warning now states Prerequisite SNMP::OID 5.1 not found,
We have 5.02.03.

The various objects for the mib2c script build successfully.

Mib2c will run now only before the next install of net-snmp that has
perl-modules disabled.

Then to get your real SNMP agent built

Make distclean

Run configure with your options (see config below for a minimal agent)

Make

Make install

(mib2c will not run now)

Mib2c agent build

./configure  \

--enable-ipv6 \

--with-default-snmp-version=3 \

[EMAIL PROTECTED] \

--with-sys-location=Belcamp,Maryland \

--with-persistent-directory=/var/net-snmp \

--with-persistent-mask=0x644 \

--with-logfile=/var/log/snmpd.log \

--with-perl-modules

Minimal agent config

./configure  \

--disable-debugging --enable-mini-agent --without-keymem-usage
--disable-mib-loading \

--disable-applications --disable-manuals --disable-scripts
--with-cflags="-DINET6 -O2 -DLinux" \

--without-openssl --with-transports=UDP,UDPIPv6
--with-out-transports=TCPIPv6,TCP,AAL5PVC,IPX,Unix,Callback \

--enable-ipv6 \

--disable-snmpv1

--disable-snmpv2c

--with-default-snmp-version=3 \

[EMAIL PROTECTED] \

--with-sys-location=Belcamp,Maryland \

--with-persistent-directory=/var/net-snmp \

--with-persistent-mask=0x644 \

--with-logfile=/var/log/snmpd.log \

--with-server-send-buf=8192 \

--with-server-recv-buf=8192 \