On 05/03/07, Andrew Walker (CV/ETL) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to develop my 1st ever SNMP client application with MSVC and am
> not sure if I can use the Net-SNMP suite of tools for developing a client
> application because it looks like it is all geard around implementing the
> agent, is this true?

No.
The Net-SNMP suite can be used to develop client-side applications.

However the "mib2c" tool *is* primarily aimed at agent development.
It could in principle be used to generate client-side code, but the
configuration files that we provide aren't really geared up for that.

You are probably better off looking at the example client tools we
provide (under "apps"), and generating something based on those.

The first thing to decide is what information you need to retrieve,
and how you are going to display it.

> I have used Net-SNMP version 5.0.4.1 to generate the folowing files using
> the mib2c application:-
    [snip]

> Can I simply call the functional within
> omsEquipmentShelfTable_data_get.c to access the agent data
> on the remote host?

No - all those files are concerned with implementing this MIB
as an agent module.   If you've already got an agent that
implements this MIB, then you can forget about the mib2c
stuff altogether.

Try looking at "snmpdf" or similar, for a client-oriented approach.

dave