We had a customer for whom net-snmp 5.2.2 was "broken" -- it would start, but
as soon as anything tried to fetch the Host MIB, it would stop responding.
After far too much hassle, we figured out that they had a busted cups install:
any attempt to touch the sole defined cups printer would hang, whether through
net-snmp or lpstat, lpadmin, et al.

So, the customer says, "Shouldn't net-snmp handle this?"

My first reaction is that since Linux was broken (essentially), the answer is
"No", but I don't like that answer much.

My colleague tells me that this may be handled better in 5.4, but since this is
clearly a theology question, I put it to the list: what SHOULD happen?  Is it
reasonable for net-snmp to handle such a mess gracefully?

Thanks in advance,

...phsiii