On 16/04/07, Lothar Werzinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am new to NetSNMP and I am a bit confused about the version
> numbering of NetSNMP.
>
> If I go to http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12694
> it states that Latest is 5.2.4
> From a numbering perspective Latest should be 5.4

There are currently three lines of code being actively maintained.

    - 5.2.x   (latest release, 5.2.4)
    - 5.3.x   (latest release, 5.3.1)
    - 5.4.x   (latest release, 5.4)

The most up-to-date code is to be found in the 5.4 release,
which appeared in December.
   But many people are still using the 5.3.x or 5.2.x code, so we
do try to fix bugs in those lines as well, and will occasionally
release this fixed code as a new version.  It's one of those
"bug-fix" releases that you're seeing - the latest version of
the 5.2.x line.
   This doesn't contain all of the new features of 5.3.x or 5.4,
but it does include a number of fixes to problems in the
earlier 5.2.3 release.

  Unfortunately, the SourceForge file release system is a
little simple-minded, and will always highlight the latest
changed version, even if this is from an "older" line.
If you click on the "net-snmp" package link, you'll see
the "5.2.4 source code" release, immediately followed by
"5.4 source code" - reflecting the dates when these two
releases were made.

Short of splitting the active lines into completely separate
packages, I'm not sure there's much we can do to improve
how these releases are displayed.

> Even more puzzling. If I build 5.2.4 the libraries it creates have
> the version 9.0.2 (libnetsnmpagent.so.9.0.2)

The version numbering of the libraries is not the same as
the numbering of releases.  (We tried to follow this for some
time, but it proved too problematical).
   Instead, the library numbering is set so that later versions
of the code will always have a higher library number.
The 5.2.x line uses library versions 9.x.y,  and the 5.3.x line
currently uses library versions 10.x.y.   The most up-to-date
release (5.4) uses library versions 15.x.y (in fact, 15.0.0),
which means that later releases on the 5.3.x line could use
11.x.y, etc - if the library APIs change at all.

But you shouldn't need to worry about this.
Just install the most recent version of the software
(going by the Net-SNMP release numbers, 5.x.y)
and everything should work properly.