On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Dave Shield wrote:

> On 13/04/07, Charles Sprickman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In snmpd.conf I have something like this:
>>
>> exec .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9100.1 QmailQueue1 /usr/local/adm/bin/qm-stat-cat.sh 1
>> exec .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9100.2 QmailQueue2 /usr/local/adm/bin/qm-stat-cat.sh 2
>> exec .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9100.3 QmailQueue3 /usr/local/adm/bin/qm-stat-cat.sh 3
>>
>> It does work, but I'm totally lost on how to make sure these values, which
>> are always integers are reported as such.
>
>> toolbox[~]# snmpwalk -v1 -c foo h07 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9100.1.101.8
>> UCD-SNMP-MIB::ucdavis.9100.1.101.8 = STRING: "0"
>
> The agent does not know what output will be produced by an arbitrary
> command, so always reports it as a string.  This means that MRTG, etc
> cannot generate a graph from it.

Additionally things like some of the Nagios snmp checks will get upset
about seeing a string when you want to look at a number (ie: check_snmp
can alert you if something is out of range, but on a string, it's always
out of range).

> You'd need to adjust the 'qm-stat-cat' script to return the numeric
> value as the *exit* status from the script, and then retrieve (and monitor)
> the OID UCD-SNMP-MIB::ucdavis.9100.1.100

OK, now I understand what you're saying.  The problem I have is that this
script is looking at qmail queues and grabbing some custom stats - and
it's got a multi-line output, kind of like so:

/var/log/qmail/qmail1/current
400/400
66234
1766
69
68069
3
0
68069

And we have from 1 to 9 queues on each host...  So I'd be looking at a
pretty major restructuring of how we do this.  I saw another poster had a
quick hack/fix for mrtg; have mrtg run a script that wraps around snmpget
and you're set.  But then we still have to deal with nagios and the like.

If I really want to have certain lines in a script that returns multiple
lines be reported as integers, is there *anything* I can do to force that?

Is there something beyond exec and extend that would make more sense?

Thanks,

Charles