Hi Dave,
thank you for answering.

I did this:

./configure --with-mib-modules=examples/watched
make
make install
killall snmpd
/usr/local/sbin/snmpd
export MIBS=+NET-SNMP-EXAMPLES-MIB

snmpget -v2c -c public localhost NET-SNMP-EXAMPLES-MIB::netSnmpExampleString.0
->NET-SNMP-EXAMPLES-MIB::netSnmpExampleString.0 = Wrong Type (should be
INTEGER) : STRING: "So long, and thanks for all the fish!"

I don't understand, how can be netSnmpExampleString' s SYNTAX Integer32. Why
isn't it some kind of string? (DisplayString?)

I tried snmpset, too, this was the result:

snmpset -v2c -c private localhost NET-SNMP-EXAMPLES-MIB::netSnmpExampleString.0
= "xyz"
->NET-SNMP-EXAMPLES-MIB::netSnmpExampleString.0: Bad value name (fish)

How can I then set the value?

Your help is important for me, thanks a lot.

Nikolett

Dave Shield On 01/08/07, Nikolett C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'd like to ask why I got this answer after an snmpget:
>
> Wrong type, should be integer. BTW it wrote out the string
> ('So long and...') correctly.

What was the command that you ran?
How exactly did you compile/configure the agent?

> Is there anything that can be done to remove this error message?

Not without a better indication of exactly what you've been doing.