On 08/01/2008, Pamidipati Suresh-G20238 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> With the below configuration specified in snmpd.conf, I am able to
> access the table1 using the context name in SNMPV3 requests.

Good.

>    But when I
> send snmpv2 request using community name "public", the request
> is not reaching the subagent.

> rwcommunity  public
> com2sec -Cn context1 user1 default public

My best guess is that these are two separate access control
settings, and the first (default context) is masking the second.

Try changing this to

   com2sec -Cn context1  user1  default   public1

and run the query using "-c public1"

> rwuser user1 noAuthNoPriv .1.3.6.1
> createUser user1 MD5 user123 DES

I'd also suggest that you use a *different* username
in the "com2sec" line, from your rwuser/createUser
settings.

These are all completely separate access control
settings - so re-using the same names will lead
to confusion (at best), or a broken setup.

> As mentioned in snmpd.conf man page, com2sec converts the community name
> to security name in the given context. So here, as per my understanding,
> the community name "public" shall be converted to security/user name
> "user1" which is configured.

It should do, yes.

> I could not find what's the reason for SNMPD not forwarding the request
> to subagent when snmpv2 request was given.

Probably because you've got other access control stuff that's being
used instead.

Always try working with the smallest possible snmpd.conf file.
Once you've got each individual bit working, you can look at
stitching it all together.