On 17/01/2008, Devvrat Tripathi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         For example if i have registered 1.3.6.1.2 the control is passed
> to the handler only when 1.3.6.1.2 is requested. If the request 1.3.6.1.2.1,
> i do not see the control being passed to my handler function.
> Am i missing something?

Yes.

If you register a subtree using
    reg = netsnmp_create_handler_registration(...);
    netsnmp_register_handler(reg);

then this handler will be called for every incoming request within
that OID tree,   ==>which this registration is responsible for<==

If this is the only registration relating to that subtree, then the
handler will receive all requests for any OID within that subtree.

But if there is another registration for another OID lower down
within that subtree, then this second registration is taking over
responsibility for that more-specific subtree.  The first handler
won't see these requests, since they will be passed to the
second handler instead.

In this case, you have taken control of the unclaimed parts of
the SNMPv2-SMI::mgmt subtree.   But it looks as if you've left
the standard MIB modules active as well, so they will typically
be claiming the more specific MIB groups.  ('system' et al).

You could try turning off these other MIB modules, and *only*
including your global one.   See the '-I' flag to snmpd, or recompile
the agent to omit these other modules altogether.

But based on your other message, I don't think this is the right
approach anyway.   I've got some real work to do now, but I'll
try to get back to you on that other issue later today.