        There is almost nothing that requires root permissions to do.  With a
little creativity and disk space you can get around almost everything.  If you
download perl and install it to your own directory, then modify your PATH and
perl env-vars to point to your personal installation, you can build and install
the Net-SNMP perl module without error.  Just check your disk space before
starting and set all ports >=1024 - that usually covers everything.

        HTH,

Mike