From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Dave Shield
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 4:14 AM
To: Joan Landry
Cc: net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Running master agent and subagent not as root

>> Can anyone tell me how to run the master agent and the subagent not
>> as root?
>>
>> I tried adding the following to snmpd.conf master agentx agentXSocket

>> /tmp/agentx/master agentXperms 0660 0550 nobody snmp

>> But get this error when I run the master agent:
>> agentx/master: initializing...
>> Error: Couldn't open a master agentx socket to listen on
>> (/tmp/agentx/master):
>
>        I haven't tried this myself, but my first thought would be to
check if the /tmp/agentx directory exists..?

And if it does, check the permissions.

Another thing to try - what happens if you omit the "agentXperms" line?
If the agent is running as a user other than 'nobody', then it's
possible that it won't be able to create and/or use the socket, since
you are specifying an explicit user/group.
  It might work better with the default user/group.