From: Mike Ayers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:31 PM
To: Joan Landry; Net-snmp-users
Subject: RE: Snmp statistics - snmp_get_statistic does not work

        Even if there is a way, this is a really bad idea.  I think you
should re-examine what you are trying to do, and extract your control
logic to an external application, for which the subagent can provide
data.  This is typical SNMP design, and there is good reason for it.
Also be sure to document clearly any changes to the master agent
configuration your application may make, as such changes have
implications on all applications working with that master.  Therefore,
it is probably better to have your application configure its
notification listener to process or ignore authentication traps, rather
than turning them on or off on the master agent(s).

> If I take over the snmp_mib and use
> snmp_get_statistic(STAT_SNMPINASNPARSEERRS)I get invalid data from
> net-snmp. If I do not take over snmp_mib I can not register for
> snmpEnableAuthenTraps.

        Do Not Do This.  Only bad things can happen...

        HTH,

Mike