        You can't point it elsewhere?

> So I would really want to know:
> - What is the real purpose of the field "agent addr"

        Its purpose was to identify the source of the trap, as your system is
trying to use it.  The problem you are seeing is only one of many which led to
the replacement in SNMPv3 of the agent_addr with the engineID, which identifies
an SNMP agent without regard to its interfaces.

> - Is the field mandatory

        For SNMPv1, yes.

> - Is there a difference between snmpv1 and snmpv2c regarding
> this field

        I don't know, being a dreadful snob who still calls v2c a
"non-protocol".  There is a difference between SNMPv1 and SNMPv3, as mentioned
above (it's one of a bevy of fundamental conceptual diofferences).

> - In general, should there not be a configuration for the NMS
> to use one

        That's tricky.  For older devices, the agent_addr may be your only good
answer.  Reconciling engineId to network addresses can be considered
frustrating, even though it solves some otherwise intractable problems.

>   or the other a) use address in IP layer or b) use address
> in SNMP layer

        Both (a) and (b) are agent_addr solutions, with the same risk.

> - In particular is an NMS surch as HPOV capable of this

        It bloody well should be!  Can you use SNMPv3 notifications (aka v2
traps)?

        HTH,

Mike