On Friday 06 February 2009 03:59:09 am you wrote:
> 2009/2/6 victor Mendez <vmen...@netsystemsinfo.com>:
> > Hi I have two Sun V880 machines, both systems are identical (physically)
> > memory disks, partitions etc. The version of NETSNMP that I have
> > installed is 5.4.1.1. the problem is that the value readings that I get
> > for the Memory usage do not match, one of the servers indicate memory
> > used is 483% the other server indicates 30% is the  an issue with NETSNMP
> > and solaris 9 or is there something that I need to to do on the server to
> > display the proper memory used value, I thank you all for your support in
> > advance.
>
> It's impossible to answer that given the information you have provided.
>
> How exactly are you querying the two servers?
REPLY: To be honest we use an application known as "SOLARWINDS"

> What OIDs are you retrieving, and what are the values returned?
REPLY: I'm not sure on that. I have tried doing an snmpwalk on the server and
try to pinpoint the OID's that will have memory information but to not avail,
can you point us on the right direction so we can see if there is a
difference on the values that both systems are providing

BTW we are using snmp v 2c

> What commands are you using to check the local usage on each
> system, and what are the values reported?

REPLY: we use prtdiag on the Solaris 9 boxes but there is difference on the
output of both devices. execp for VM values

> Maybe it's just that one system is busier than the other?

REPLY: Sorry can you explain, if the system was so busy as to use swap space
then we would see that the swap space values increase/decrease in time,
something which we do not see, on the other side the VM values of the systems
are  different, does this mean that the VM value is the value being applied
against the systems memory usage.

I know that Unix includes DISK memory and RAM as one single unit, but I
thought that VM was limited only to RAM, can you please explain your
assertion.

Thank you for replying

Victor Mendez B.

mKomm/NetSystems                              Tel: 514.335.0505 ext:5700
164 rue Ideale                                         Fax: 514.335.0505
Saint-Eustache,Québec
CANADA,J7P 1R3

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"
William of Ockham (Ockham's Razor) - 14th century