[ First - *please* don't mail me privately, without copying
     any responses to the mailing list.  I don't have the time
     or inclination to offer private, unpaid, SNMP consultancy.
     Keep discussions to the list, where others can both learn
     and offer advice.  Thanks.   ]

2009/3/4 kusuma. bm <kusuma...@globaledgesoft.com>:

> Hi,
> In /var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf on 172.10.1.4 , i gave
> createUser initial MD5 initialpasswd
>
> The /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf contains
> rwuser initial
> rwuser wes

If that information is in /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf  (as you say here),
but you can't see anything relevant in the vacm tables (as you say
elsewhere),  then that would tend to indicate that the agent is not
reading this config file.

> * * *snmpgetnext -v3 -u initial -l authNoPriv -a MD5 -A initialpassword
> 172.10.1.4 .1
> SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: Linux kusuma 2.6.21.5-smp #2 SMP Tue Jun 19
> 14:58:11 CDT 2007 i686  ---> is my output
>
> *
> *Now if i try to give the command from snmptrapd
>
> snmpgetnext -v3 -u wes  -l authNoPriv -a MD5 -A initialpasswd 172.10.1.4
> :161 .1.3.6.1.6.3.15
> this vil give me
> Error in packet.
> Reason: authorizationError (access denied to that object)
> *

I.e. the user "wes" doesn't have access to anything.
That also indicates that the agent isn't picking up the "rwuser wes" line.

> I am using net-snmp-5.2.1 as snmpd agent and yes i have compiled it myself.

Try putting the rwuser lines in /usr/local/etc/snmpd.conf
rather than /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf

If that doesn't work, try killing off the agent, and restarting it as

     snmpd -f -Le -Dread_config

That will display debugging information, including a list of where the agent
is looking for configuration, and what settings it finds.
That should help you track down where to put the snmpd.conf file.