RV> I've heard that snmpd, when operating as a proxy, forwards one SET
RV> request at a time and buffers all other requests until the SET response
RV> arrives.

Correct.

RV> This 'feature' would be valuable for me if it worked with all types of
RV> requests. I need to send SNMP over a half duplex connection that
RV> currently has no other means to negotiate who can send.

The main agent only tries to handle multiple requests at a time when
it's safe to do so (IE, when it's not a SET and there are no outstanding
SETs).

I'm pretty sure you can turn off the feature too, but it's likely a
compile-time #define statement somewhere (I forget where; search agent/*.c).

RV> If I proxied the requests of all managers through snmpd and it sent one
RV> request at a time, buffering other requests until the response arrives,
RV> this would nicely avoid collisions.

What's controlling the simplex connection?  How come the code itself
isn't blocking on that?  There is no threading going on in the Net-SNMP
agent.  There is a very special mechanism by which a submodule has to
tell the parent that it's ok to continue.  If the submodule code is
already blocking, you won't run into your issue in the first place.

--
Wes Hardaker
Cobham Analytic Solutions