[ First - *please* don't mail me privately, without copying
     any responses to the mailing list.  I don't have the time
     or inclination to offer private, unpaid, SNMP consultancy.
     Keep discussions to the list, where others can both learn
     and offer advice.  Thanks.   ]

2009/5/18  <vism...@email.it>:
>> 2009/5/18  <vism...@email.it>:
>> > When I try snmpget communityName ipaddress I get a snmpget: Unknown host.
>>
>> Please read the "snmpget" and "snmpcmd" man pages.
>> That is not the correct syntax for this command.

> thank for the reply, I have already read the manual, but I do not understand
> how should I wrote the command,

  $ man snmpcmd

  SYNOPSIS
       snmpcmd   [OPTIONS]  AGENT  [PARAMETERS]

  OPTIONS
      -c  community

So the first error you make was to forget the '-c' flag
before the community name. The command ought to have been:

     snmpget -c communityName   ipaddress

That's why you got the error message "Unknown host"
(It was treating "communityName" as the host)

It's also sensible to specify the version of SNMP you want to use:

    snmpget -v1 -c communityName  ipaddress

The final thing you've forgotten is what information you are trying to get.
You need to specify what you are interested in/

So the full command is actually of the form:

    snmpget -v 1 -c communityName  ipaddress  OID

> especially referring to OIDs (how I determine them?)

Well, what are you interested in?
If you want to know the operating system information, you
could run

    snmpget -v 1 -c public  127.0.0.1   sysDescr.0

It might be easier to start with "snmpwalk" rather than "snmpget".
That works in basically the same way, but is a little more forgiving
in what it returns.