2009/6/1 Matej <ma...@matnet.net>:
> Which app should I try for testing this? snmpget and snmpwalk seem to need a
> hostname, or am I doing something wrong?

They ask for a destination address, yes.
But the NEWS file states
   "limited support for UDPv4 broadcast addresses"

So try running "snmpget" with a broadcast address as the destination "host".

Note that I've never tried this, but it seems worth a whirl.
I'd also suggest that you start by working with "snmpget"
since that works with a single request.   I wouldn't move onto
the more complex "snmpwalk" until you're happy that a
broadcast snmpget works.

> How can I monitor values of DHCP-enabled agents that are connecting and
> disconnecting frequently? How did you do guys do it before this broadcasting
> option was available (and even now while it is not much tested)? Via DHCP
> assigned IP addresses' list from DHCP server?

You're asking the wrong person.
Firstly. the systems we have here use fixed IP addresses
(allocated via DHCP, but fixed nonetheless).   So I personally
don't need to worry about managing "unknown" systems.

Secondly, when do think I ever find the time to actually *use* SNMP
anyway?   I seem to spend every waking moment either answering
questions on the lists, or (occasionally) working on the code!

OK - that's something of an exaggeration (honest, Boss!),
but there's a kernel of truth in it.   I really don't have the time
to make as much use of SNMP in real-life situations as I'd like.

Maybe someone else on the list may have more useful experience.