Hi,

I’ve configured proxy directive in snmpd.conf file and tested successfully.

It’s working great. Thanks a lot. But I’ve an issue.

I configured net-snmp listening on port 161 to proxy requests for all OIDs

(.1.3) as below expecting it to proxy all requests to legacy agent

listening on port 1661, then I found that net-snmp passes requests for only

such OIDs as Private MIBs implemented in legacy agent, however fails for

standard MIB-II implementation in which case net-snmp obtains MIB data from

it’s snmpd (161).

In other words, I observed, for MIBs having implemented

in both master-agent  (snmpd) and sub-agent (legacy agent), master-agent

implementation supersedes and the below proxy directive might fail to proxy

request for such OIDs to port 1661.

proxy -v 2c -c public
 localhost:1661 .1.3

Just to test further, I’ve configured snmpd.conf as below

proxy -v 2c -c public localhost:1661 .1.3

proxy -v 2c -c public localhost:1661 .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.1 (ifDescr.1)

proxy -v 2c -c public localhost:1661 .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.2 (ifDescr.2)

In this case, proxy request for “IfDescr.1” to port 1661 succeeded when I

tried to retrieve a single MIB data.  I’ve tested this proxy directive

specifying complete OID for various IF-MIB OIDs and its works fine when I

tried to retreive a single IF-MIB data but fails when I walk through

complete IF-MIB table.

Do I need to configure proxy for all individual OIDS for all MIBs

implemented in net-snmp agent?

Case 1: Request ifTable to legacy agent: success

# snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 172.13.5.24:1661 .1.3.6.1.2.1.2 (ifTable)

IF-MIB::ifDescr.1 = STRING:
 Internal TCP Software Loopback Interface;

IF-MIB::ifDescr.2 = STRING: Broadcom Embedded Gigabit Ethernet Controller,

10/100/1000 Mbps, RJ45;

Case 2: Request single MIB to net-snmp agent: success

# snmpget -v 2c -c public 172.13.5.24 .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.1

IF-MIB::ifDescr.1 = STRING: Internal TCP Software Loopback Interface;

# snmpget -v 2c -c public 172.13.5.24 .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.2

IF-MIB::ifDescr.2 = STRING: Broadcom Embedded Gigabit Ethernet Controller,

10/100/1000 Mbps, RJ45;

Case 3: Request ifTable MIB to net-snmp agent: failed

# snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 172.13.5.24 .1.3.6.1.2.1.2 (ifTable)

net-snmp MIB
 data....

IF-MIB::ifDescr.2 = STRING: Broadcom Embedded Gigabit Ethernet Controller,

10/100/1000 Mbps, RJ45;

Could you please tell me how proxy support succeeds in case 2 but fails in

case 3?

Thanks in advance,

KrishnaMohan