> 2009/11/26  <a...@lingnu.com>:
>> looks like the implementation of sysUpTime actually returns
>> the time passed since the snmp daemon has started:
>>
>> 1. why not return the real system uptime ? (as the MIB name suggests)
>
> Because that's not what the sysUpTime value reports.
> See the DESCRIPTION clause from the MIB file.
>
> The uptime of the underlying system (as opposed to the
> network-management portion) is reported via hrSystemUptime
>

>> 2. out specific case:
>>
>> when our system boots, the time is 'Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 UTC 1970',
>> and this is the system time when the snmp starts,
>> but after a short while, we run query the time server, which
>> updates the clock to the real time, now sysUpTime returns
>> really wrong results (like 158 days, for example)
>>
>> is there a standard solution for this ?
>> (we try to avoid patching)
>
> The simplest would probably be to start the SNMP agent
> *after* querying the time server, rather than before.
>
> Dave

that would solve it, the thing is we allow the
client to configure ntp servers through snmp,
after they configure it, the results of sysUpTime
are incorrect.

the issue could have been resolved by sampling the
system uptime when the snmp daemon starts, and using
it to calculate the sysUptime value, instead of relaying
on the system clock