Recently while debugging someones implementation of my MIB, I saw that
they were sending the varbind list in a different sequence than was
described (implicitly) by my VARIABLES clauses.

... I had never thought of sending the variables in a different order!

In retrospect, I suppose there is nothing stopping you because
each variable contains the OID (which I look at only to extract
indexing information), and I simply based my code on 'progressional
sequencing'.

Looking back in time, I don't recall ever reading the answer one
way or another, so I just thought the order was implied.

Have I been operating/coding under a misguided assumption
for the last 15 years?  :-(

TIA
Fulko