        Yep.

> i've insstalled and configured net-snmp a number of times on my system
> but have a problem getting it to work... am not sure what's wrong...

        Actually, it may be working, but we'll get back to that in a moment...

> have attached config files

        That's not the config file, it's the net-snmp-config session.  The
config file we want is the generated snmpd.conf file.

        Note that user "root" should have group "root" - "public" is what you
want for the rocommunity (read-only).

        Thanks for the screenshot.  Note that snmpd backgrounds by default, so
see if you still have an snmpd running:

# ps h -eo pid,args | grep snmpd

        If there is any output to that, then

# kill [pid]

        ...replacing [pid] with the number in the first column.  Now do this:

# snmpd -Le -f -Dread_config

        This will run the agent in the foregrouns and log all errors to the
console.  That's a start - let's see how far that gets you.

        HTH,

Mike