Hello!
The program I am currently working on is a standalone daemon which
regularly queries values from hardware devices and, among other things,
provides them via SNMP (as a subagent). It gets its configuration (OID
tree structure, but also hardware query commands, update rates and so
on) from an XML file, so in order to have all information in one place,
I decided not to use MIB files. (It's absolutely ok to me to only have
numerical OIDs, no naming needed). I would also like to be able to
unregister and re-register subtrees in case my configuration file
changes, so using the mib2c code generator is not an option.

The only thing I need from the SNMP library is to register the subtree I
am managing and get callbacks whenever a value is queried. Values are
ints or strings, there are no tables or other complicated stuff. I guess
it should look like:

snmp_init();
snmp_register_subtree(root_oid,callback_func,user_ptr);

void callback_func(oid *oid,type *type,void *value,void *user_ptr) {
    //lookup OID in my own data structure
    //if found:
       //set type correctly
       //set value to the requested data
    //else
       //return some kind of "not found" indicator, maybe NULL
}

Unfortunately, searching through the net-snmp tutorials, documentation,
mailing lists and the rest of the web didn't quite get me an answer.
Maybe you can give me a pointer?
Sincerely,

Christian THIESSEN