From: dave.shi...@googlemail.com [mailto:dave.shi...@googlemail.com] On Behalf
Of Dave Shield
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:05 AM
To: PEOPLES, MICHAEL P (ATTSI)
Cc: net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Complex Arbitrary Command Extension using SNMP

On 22 March 2010 18:10, PEOPLES, MICHAEL P (ATTSI) <mp4...@att.com> wrote:
> I have learned how to execute arbitrary commands, invoked by a pre-defined
> OID that I create using an "exec" command in the snmpd.conf file.  Example:
>
> exec .1.3.6.1.4.1.2001.65.1.101.1.1 hoplist_1 /usr/bin/cat
> /export/home/hopuser/traceroute.host_1.hoplist

Try looking at the "extend" directive.
It's similar to "exec" but has a much richer MIB structure
(both configuring the command to be run, and interpreting the output)

It also has the advantage of this MIB structure being legal
(which "exec {OID}" is not!)

> What I am trying to do is, create a "dynamic" set of extensions that
> function similar to IF-MIB.  I have a pre-defined list of hosts that I want
> to do a traceroute to.

Have you looked at the DISMAN-TRACEROUTE-MIB ?
That is an existing, standard MIB structure for managing traceroute requests.
I don't know how much experience you have of designing MIB modules,
but it would be a sensible starting point.