2010/4/7 Fulko Hew <fulko....@gmail.com>:
>> I'm surprised at this output - I'd expect it to display "51"
>> instead of "39"
>
> I'm not.  Although I haven't looked at net-snmpd's daemonizing code,
> any application thats going to operate as a  (well behaved) daemon
> is supposed to perform (at least) 2 fork() calls to 'detatch itself from
> the controlling terminal', etc.

But the "-f" flag disables the background fork, and runs the agent
in the foreground.   So

    snmpd -f &

is using the shell to run the agent in the background,
rather than the built-in mechanisms.

I've no personal experience of the uClinux environment,
so I don't know why the original poster is working this way.
But I seem to recall reading recently that 'fork' may not be
available, so this might be a way to work around that limitation.

We do seem to be getting more queries about running this
software on embedded systems.   Unfortunately, we never get
any feedback from anyone who has done this successfully,
so are somewhat at a loss to provide effective support for
such environments.