EB> I'm a little confused with the enginedID in the snmptrapd.conf file.  I was
EB> able to generate my own engineID in the /var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf file via
EB> engineID "this is my engineID" specifier.  The snmptrapd.conf engineID does
EB> not seem to work the same way.  I have been able send and recieve V3 traps
EB> using the real world sample instructions but using the oldengineID that
EB> existed in the /var/net-snmp/snmptrapd.conf file.  How is this one
EB> generated?

First, make sure you understand the difference between TRAPs and INFORMs
with engineIDs.  It's not as easy as you think ;-)  Here's a web page
talking about it:

   http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.php/TUT:snmptrap_SNMPv3

The default engineID generation for net-snmp is based on a random value
and the timestamp the first time the application is run.  If an old
engineID is found  in the /var/net-snmp config file for an application
it is always used instead (since the engineID shouldn't change from run
to run).
--
Wes Hardaker
Cobham Analytic Solutions