Hi

I'm new to SNMP, so please forgive the stupid questions, but...

I have a number of Windows boxes where I want to run archiving scripts
which take audit data and copy it to a central box. When something goes
wrong, I need to alert a central admin.

The admin uses a product which catches SNMP traps and displays info to
the user, so the preferred method is to send a trap to that product. So
basically, all I want to do is use the "snmptrap" tool to send an error
message to that product.

However, I'm confused by all these different MIBS, and what to use, and
how to use it. I've read through the tutorials but they are
frustratingly not tutorials (i.e. they don't say "here's how you do
this"). In fact, they don't seem to even tell you where the MIB files
are (I found them under /usr/share). :-/

Please can someone point me in the right direction? I was hoping to just
have one command that says "send error message x to IP y" but clearly
it's much more complicated than that.

Thanks!

Simon

Please help Logica to respect the environment by not printing this email  /
Pour contribuer comme Logica au respect de l'environnement, merci de ne pas
imprimer ce mail /  Bitte drucken Sie diese Nachricht nicht aus und helfen Sie
so Logica dabei, die Umwelt zu schützen. /  Por favor ajude a Logica a
respeitar o ambiente nao imprimindo este correio electronico.