On 14 October 2010 07:38, Abraham Varricatt
<abraham.varricatt+s...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> can anybody explain the meaning "community' meaning to me more detailed
>> ?Thank you!
>
> This is actually part of the SNMP protocol.

To be strictly accurate, it's part of the administrative framework for
SNMPv1 and SNMPv2c - i.e. an "SNMP Message"  (see RFC 1901)
   It's not actually part of the SNMP protocol itself (i.e. the "SNMP PDU"),
as defined in RFC 1905

>                                       The "community" string acts as
> (a VERY limited) security check to determine if a monitor has read/write
> access to the MIB-tables it has.

The usual way to think of the community string is as a (plain-text) password.
Different community strings can be granted different levels of access to
a given SNMP agent.