Am Dienstag, 9. November 2010, um 00:45:54 schrieb Thomas Anders:
> raf wrote:
> > i've just upgraded to ubuntu-10.10 and its snmpget
>
> > (v5.4.3) doesn't understand MIB names:
> Debian-based distros have stopped shipping IETF MIB files for legal
> reasons. However, there's a new "snmp-mibs-downloader" package
> (http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/snmp-mibs-downloader) to facilitate
> downloading and installing them.

Yes, and apparently that downloader saves them in a directory that is not
automatically used by the net-snmp applications...

In particular, the ubuntu version of the snmp* commands has a hardcoded path
of /usr/share/snmp/mibs, while the download-mibs utility saves all MIBs in
/var/lib/mibs/ietf/

And of course the config files are NOT adjusted to use that path... Plus the
downloader does not configure the net-snmp applications to automatically load
any of these MIBs, even after you copy them to /usr/share/snmp/mibs. You have
to pass -m ALL to each call to make use of them... (At least, that's my
experience so far. I might be missing something, though. But at least
snmpbulkwalk does NOT work out of the box here, even after running download-
mibs).

Cheers,
Reinhold
Reinhold Kainhofer, reinh...@kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/