On 5/24/2011 3:53 PM, Adrian Bica wrote:
I have an embedded system running a snmpd server. It has it's own engineID
generated from MAC address as instructed by snmpd.conf file. Everything is fine
here.

Now, I want the same system to send v3 traps to various destinations with
different ip adresses.
The question is: what engineID should I use in snmptrap command:

a) Same engineID as the system's engineID and instruct the receivers to check
for it?
the engineID used in a SNMPv3 trap is the "/authoritative engine ID/"--so it should be a) .
b) Different engineID's for each receiver, as provided by receiver?

for SNMPv3 inform PDU, the "/authoritative engine ID" used should be the engineID of the receivers. Usually the agent that sends out Informs should "discover" the receiver's engineID first.
/
Xiang Li
http://www.champnms.com