On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM, rosy <rosypa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. It did work. But i would like to appreciate if
> you would let me know why it works..
>  0xff in binary is 11111111.. and by doing  tolower((*cp) & 0xff)..it
> will set the corresponding bits which are 1 in (*cp)..
>  But how it solved the crashing issue ??

Most likely because the value of *cp was in the range 0x80..0xfe, because
your compiler uses signed chars and because it (incorrectly) sign-extended
the value of *cp by adding 0xffffff00. If your C library implements
tolower() via array lookup then sign-extending *cp can cause a crash.

Now again it crashing at  while (*from != 0 && !isspace(*from)) ...
> I did !isspace(*from & 0xff) ..but it's not working.. :(
> Why its crashing when Its calling all the c -related functions.. Is
> there any problem with my cross compiler..??
> Would appreciate if you can guide me on this..

You can try to have a look at the generated assembler code, try to find out
what your compiler is doing wrong and try to find a workaround.

Bart.