On 2 May 2012 18:23, Nigam, Sandeep <sni...@enghouse.com> wrote:
> We are using some agentx sub agents with a central master agent. This
> question is about the mibs that master agent knows about. Do we have to tell
> snmpd about mibs that sub agents use?

When the sub-agent connects, it will tell the master agent which portions
of the OID tree it wishes to be responsible for.   This is all that the master
agent needs to know.
   Any request for one of those OIDs will be passed to the subagent.  The
master agent doesn't need any more details about the structure, syntax or
semantics about that particular MIB (or MIB fragment).

>                                I have tried using mibfile command in
> snmp.conf to list all the mibs and it works fine.

Note that 'snmp.conf' is really concerned with how clients work - in particular
MIB files are used for translating between names and numbers.   (Almost)
everything will work fine without them - you just don't get "meaningful" names
in the output.

>                                                     Since sub agents register
> their respective mibs using Register_mib function call, does master still
> need access to actual mib files?

The master agent doesn't need MIB files at all - not even for MIBs that it
implements internally.
   See the FAQ entry
         Do I actually need the MIB files?
                 for more info