Hi, Dave –

Thanks for the reply. The OS is Ubuntu 12.04.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "vendor-supplied" SNMP; are you
referring to something that may have come with the OS distro?

Also, I tried running make uninstall, but when it entered the perl
subdirectory, I got an error "no rule to make target 'uninstall'. Stop." And
the uninstall quit right after that. There's still a bunch of files with "snmp"
in their names in /usr.

Should I do some more clean-up before proceeding, and if so, what would you
recommend? Thanks again.

On Jun 17, 2012, at 1:37 AM, Dave Shield wrote:

> On 17 June 2012 03:52, Michael Zimmers <mzimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My first effort didn't seem to work right, so I'm going to slow down and
>> report my progress step by step.
>>
>> I ran "make clean" and make "distclean" on my original install, and deleted
>> the unpacked distro. The distro I'm using is 5.7.1 from the net-snmp.org
>> download page.
>
> That sounds a very solid and sensible start.
> The only other things that I would suggest is checking whether there is a
> vendor-supplied version of the Net-SNMP package already installed.
> To avoid confusion, I'd suggest removing this as well, and then checking
> that there's no mention of 'snmp' in the usual bin and lib directories.
>

>> I extracted from the tar.gz file, and ran ./configure. Here's the output
>> from the summary:
>     [snip]
>> So...does it look like I've done this right so far?
>
> Looks good so far.
> The next step would be to run "make", and check that there are no errors.
>
> What O/S are you working on?
>
> Dave

mz