On 6 July 2012 06:01, Benix Vincent <benixvinc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> To install a dynamically growing tabular mib, how to query the number of
> row entries?

It depends on the MIB.
  Some tables have an accompanying scalar object that reports
the number of rows in the table.   (e.g. IF-MIB::ifNumber)
Other MIBs would require you walk the table in order to determine
the number of rows within it.

> Is it mandatory to use “snmp get next”?

If you know the index values that will be used for entries
in the table, then you can use GET requests to retrieve
the particular entries that you're interested in.
  If the index values are not predictable  (e.g. network connections,
or process IDs), then you'll probably need to use GETNEXT instead.

> Can I have a global variable and keeps incrementing as the table grows?

You can certainly have a global scalar variable to report the size of the
table.   But this may be independent of what the index values actually are.
Just knowing the size of the table does not in itself avoid the use of
GETNEXT requests.
   (Though it does mean you could issue a single GETBULK request
to pull down the whole table in one go!)