On 19 October 2012 18:50, Joan Landry <joan.lan...@overturenetworks.com> wrote:
> When I walk a column in one table, and that table is empty I see that
> net-snmp is
> calling handlers for tables that are next in the oid table sequence.

That is correct.

> Is there a reason why net-snmp goes to the next table - when a next
> was requested for a given column in one table.

No - a GetNext request was issued for a given OID
(which just happens to fall within a particular table).

The defined behaviour of the GetNext request is that
it will return the next valid instance that the agent supports.
Not the next instance within a particular range or within the
same table - the next valid instance.
   The agent is working as expected.

   The SNMP protocol has no idea about the logical structure
of MIB information - that's why it can work even without MIB
files being available.
  (That's also why "snmpwalk" will always issue one "extra"
GetNext request, and discard the result)

> This can take a long time to respond if the subsequent
> tables are also empty.

If a table is empty, then processing requests for it ought
to be quick, surely?   If that's taking a long time, then this
is probably the thing to address.