Hi friends,

I am new to snmp and after some readings I have 2 questions:-

1) Does net-snmp AUTOMATICALLY sends trap when we configure agent's
snmpd.conf file with directives like trapsink, monitor, etc. for inbuilt
OIDs like cpu and disk??

I am asking because I am trying to send a trap when cpu goes beyond 90%. My
agent and master are on the same linux box.

My snmptrad.conf file:-

authCommunity log aaa
authCommunity log public

My snmpd.conf file (removing extra comment lines):-

master agentx com2sec notConfigUser default public

group notConfigGroup v1 notConfigUser group
notConfigGroup v2c notConfigUser

view systemview included .1.3.6.1.2.1.1 view systemview
included .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1.1 view all included .1 view mib2 included
.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2 fc

access notConfigGroup "" any noauth exact systemview none none

createUser internalMonitoringName SHA mysecretpassword AES rouser
internalMonitoringName iquerySecName internalMonitoringName

com2sec local localhost aaa
com2sec net-27 x.x.x.x/8 aaa
com2sec net-46 x.x.x.x/24 aaa     # x.x.x.x is some real IP in my network
com2sec net-60 x.x.x.x/24 aaa
com2sec net-10 x.x.x.x/16 aaa

group MyRWGroup any local
group MyROGroup any net-27
group MyROGroup any net-46
group MyROGroup any net-60
group MyROGroup any net-10

access MyROGroup "" any noauth 0 all none none
access MyRWGroup "" any noauth 0 all mib2 mib2

syslocation "Somewhere in testlab"
syscontact Root root@localhost

dontLogTCPWrappersConnects yes

trap2sink localhost aaa

monitor -r 30 machineTooBusy hrProcessorLoad > 90

When I run some process to increase cpu load, the cpu load goes beyond 90%
(I can see that in top command) but I can't see the trap message in
/var/log/messages.

What I am doing wrong here?

2) Also, my next question is, if I have a custom MIB file for which I have
wrtten an agent, Can I add the variable/OID from that custom MIB with
"monitor" directive in snmpd.conf file to send trap AUTOMATICALLY? OR I
must send trap from within my agent???

Please help on my confusion...