By network devices I mean small nework devices based on embedded Linux system,
such as cable modems, eMTA, set-top boxes, smart TVs.

----- Original Message -----
From: Robson, Alan
Sent: 04/11/14 01:57 AM
To: Alex, net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: SNMP Protocol

The Management Information Base (MIB) will be hard coded into the program
running on the network device (The SNMP agent). This SNMP agent can use any
technique it likes to store its information (for example, my snmp agent stores
all its information in mysql).
A file describing the MIB (generally known as MIB files) for particular systems
may be available on the internet, that would be common for the major vendors
like Cisco for example, many of their mib files are available for free download
from cisco.com. Also, many snmp agents support standard mibs defined in the
RFCs for things like interface statistics, uptime etc.
Some SNMP agents (like net-snmp) can be extended with subagents. The original
agent responds to common requests like uptime, system name, IP addresses etc.
and custom subagents are created to add additional information. If your network
device is equivalent to a PC running net-snmp snmpd then it may be possible to
add information to the MIB on the machine, either by putting configuration into
snmpd.conf or by writing your own subagent. When you say network device though,
it makes me think you are talking about a system that you cannot easily add
your own software to.