Hi!

No, SNMP is not the way to go. I can't think of any device that can be ordered to renew the IP address via an SNMP command. The two are simply not that tightly related.

Clients generally renew the DHCP lease after half the lease time assigned by the DHCP server. If that renewal fails, the client tries to renew in half the remaining lease time and this process is repeated over and over again until the lease time expires. The client then attempts a DHCP DISCOVER. There are different approaches to this, but this is the most common one. I don't know of any way to force the DHCP client to renew the lease apart from CLI commands like Windows "ipconfig /renew" and various Linux methods. If you need the clients to get a new address from the DHCP server, you simply have to wait until the lease time expires.

/Fredrik