Hi.  I'm hoping that someone much more familiar with snmp can give me
some basic direction here.

I need to write the smallest bit of code possible for an embedded
application to get and set values on a WAP over SNMP v2c.  Porting
net-snmp is a daunting proposition, especially because I would need to
use programmed I/O to a homebrew Ethernet device.  It seems that all I
need to do is send UDP packets with the correct SNMP incantations and
read UDP responses from the WAP.  But what's the simplest way to get there?

I've been reading RFCs and other stuff for hours, and I have a vague
appreciation for how to do this, but then I see the relative complexity
of using net-snmp and wonder if it's much more complicated than I think.

If this sounds doable without net-snmp, can anyone suggest a source for
low-level examples of basic operations so that I can verify my
understanding?  My only thought is to monitor snmp operations with
Wireshark, and I'm not sure that's the best approach.

Thanks much.

-- Alan