RMON might come in usefull.  If you configure each interface for the
statistics group with 300 buckets and an interval of 1 second
you will receive a trap every 300 seconds teling you the buckets are
full and you will need the poll the node to gather the data then issue a
reset, which will empty the buckets. Using RMON in this way can be very
memory intensive.

--
James R. Leu
j...@mindspring.com