On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 3:24 AM, alessandro macuz
<alessandro.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I tried to search the Internet for my answer but I don't seem to find it.
>
> At my company we have an appliance that for some OIDs it doesn't return an
> integer calue that can be processed and graphed but a string that looks like
> the following
>

> .1.3.6.1.3456.c.f.r.t.h.y.j.uu.i.w. : STRING ::This OID gives the height of
> the cake in the owen = 5.45
>
> Where the value of te OID is "This OID gives the height of the cake in the
> owen = 5.45"
>
> The vendor of the appliance doesn't release any MIB and from my
> understanding the way to provide a human exclamation is right returning a
> self-explanatory-string AND the value.
>
> As far as I know MIBs can only serve to describe the OIDs' structure.

A MIB describes not only the structure of all the OIDs, but also the type
of each OID.  In this case, the type would be OCTET STRING.

> Now the quite-a-newbie-question: can a MIB be used to describe the format of
> the OID's value?

Unfortunately, once defined as a string, there isn't a way to define
the format of that string (other than its length).
[Strings are intended for human consumption, not machine processing.]

If the value is defined as an INTEGER or an OCTET STRING, then there
could be a technique for hinting at the way it could/should be printed
(using a DISPLAY-HINT clause in the OID's definition.)
Basically it allows you to define how the value should be printed, or
octet unpacked so that it could be printed.

Read the appropriate sections of this:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2579