​If you look at your snmptrapd.conf (above), you'll see that the 'format' of
the message to be written
is 'FORMAT'​.  as in:
​
format2 FORMAT
the comment above it says you need to look at the man page for details about
how to compose
the value of FORMAT.

Thanks for this reply; this is clearer now.

I don’t want to do any explicit formatting of the output. I just want it to
appear in the log as it is being sent (at least, for my current testing
purposes). I’ve looked at the snmptrad man page, so see all of the layout
characters. But how can I just display EVERYTHING that is sent, as it is sent?
I don’t see an ‘ALL’ formatting character.  If I just remove the ‘format2’
line, I don’t seem to get any output at all sent to the log.

Thanks
tl