On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Christian Salem <
christian.sa...@mail.concordia.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I am new to net-snmp and would greatly appreciate any help you guys can
> provide.
>
> I’m working on Bash on Ubuntu on Windows, trying to install net-snmp in a
> Linux environment. I followed the instructions here
> <https://www.maketecheasier.com/net-snmp-part-1/>.

Those instructions are pretty weird: why do they have you build and install
net-snmp from scratch, and then overwrite the snmpd with the upstream
version?

> I installed all the required dependencies for net-snmp but when I try to
> run the make command, I get the following output at the end before it stops:
>

> “
>
> …
>
> make[1]: Entering directory '/mnt/c/Users/c_salem/Desktop/
> netsnmpinstall/net-snmp-5.7.3/mibs'
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/c/Users/c_salem/Desktop/
> netsnmpinstall/net-snmp-5.7.3/mibs'
>
> make[1]: Entering directory '/mnt/c/Users/c_salem/Desktop/
> netsnmpinstall/net-snmp-5.7.3/perl'
>
> make[2]: Entering directory '/mnt/c/Users/c_salem/Desktop/
> netsnmpinstall/net-snmp-5.7.3/perl/default_store'
>
> Manifying 1 pod document
>
> Can't write-open ../blib/man3/NetSNMP::default_store.3pm: Invalid
> argument at /usr/share/perl/5.22/ExtUtils/Command/MM.pm line 147.

You're building on a Windows filesystem, and Windows files can not have
colons in them.  You may be able to do better if you use the Linux
filesystem (a path that does not start with /mnt).

> Finally I run apt-get install snmpd, then  /etc/init.d/snmpd start but I
> get the following error:

This will install something that is incompatible with the thing you just
built and installed, so is not advisable.  This is a problem with the
instructions you are following.

I imagine that there are two possible paths forward:

1. Build on the Linux filesystem, so that you can have filenames with
colons.  (That is why both your "make" and your "make install" failed).
2. Keep trying to use the Windows filesystem, but don't build the perl
stuff.  This involves passing the right "--disable-foo" options to
./configure; you could try "./configure --help" and see if you can figure
out which options are correct.  (And there's no guarantee that there isn't
something else going on in the Windows filesystem that will mess up the
build.)

  Bill