Hi,

I want to query for the ARP and NDISC cache entries via SNMP on a Linux
system. For IPv4 (ARP) this is already implemented in
IP-MIB::ipNetToMediaTable, and it works as expected:

> $ snmptable -v 2c -c public 10.0.0.1 IP-MIB::ipNetToMediaTable
> SNMP table: IP-MIB::ipNetToMediaTable
>
>  ipNetToMediaIfIndex ipNetToMediaPhysAddress ipNetToMediaNetAddress
> ipNetToMediaType
>                    3         0:1:5c:xx:xx:xx         178.27.xxx.xxx
> dynamic
>                   13        c:47:c9:xx:xx:xx         192.168.xxx.xxx
> dynamic
>                   13       c0:ee:fb:xx:xx:xx         192.168.xxx.xxx
> dynamic

However, I couldn't find anything equivalent for IPv6 (NDISC). Has
anyone looked into this already? Have I missed something? Is there a
reason why this is not implemented (yet)?

Shouldn't it be possible to extend the SNMP agent with some script (pass
directive) relaying the output of "ip -6 neigh" or something similar?

What do you think about this?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Karol Babioch