I figured it out looking at the code.  The service MUST be called "Net-SNMP
Agent".

-- Aaron

From: aaron.frie...@non.keysight.com <aaron.frie...@non.keysight.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 10:25 AM
To: net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Starting snmpd from WiX installer on Windows?

All,

Working on a project that includes Net-SNMP and want to add the components to
an existing WiX-based MSI installer, with snmpd running as a service.

Has anyone done this before, or can provide pointers on configuring snmpd as a
service, and so that it starts during install?

I prefer to get things running for any user in the Administrators group without
running msiexec from an Administrator command prompt.

I have the following but this fails to install, complaining about insufficient
privileges, but I think that is a red herring, as other services are
successfully installed and configured:

  <Fragment>
    <DirectoryRef Id="APPLICATIONFOLDER">
      <Component Id="cmp9E0DCDEC3FA7498184A874297794C513"
Guid="{9E0DCDEC-3FA7-4981-84A8-74297794C513}">
        <File Id="fil9E0DCDEC3FA7498184A874297794C513" KeyPath="yes"
Source="!(wix.NetSnmpBinSource)\snmpd.exe" />
        <ServiceInstall
                                  Id="SnmpdServiceInstaller"
                                  Type="ownProcess"
                                  Name="NetSnmpAgent"
                                  DisplayName="Net-SNMP Command Responder"
                                  Description="Net-SNMP Command Responder"
                                  Start="auto"
                                  Account="LocalSystem"
                                  ErrorControl="ignore"
                                  Interactive="no"
                                  Vital="no"
                           />
        <ServiceControl Id="SnmpdServiceControl" Name="NetSnmpAgent"
Start="install" Stop="both" Remove="uninstall" Wait="yes" />
      </Component>
    </DirectoryRef>
  </Fragment>

Best Regards,
Aaron Friesen

Contract Software Engineer of Aerotek on behalf of Keysight

Keysight Technologies, Inc.
970.679.5632 T